Paddleboarding At Lake Annecy

Paddleboarding, Lake Annecy

While exploring the shores of Lake Annecy I spotted these two people paddleboarding across the water. It’s not something I’ve ever done myself, but I’m sure it’s much more difficult and tiring than it looks.

Having people in the scene adds a bit more depth which would be lost with an empty lake, so I’m glad they were there! I spent a while around this spot and the small town of Talloires. I think it’s the best lake side location I’ve found for photographing Lake Annecy yet.

The mountains look spectacular from this side of the water, and I really love the profile of that mountain on the right hand side. I’ve always thought it looks a bit like the spine of a dinosaur, and everybody loves dinosaurs!

Have you ever tried paddleboarding? Or maybe you don’t like dinosaurs?! I’d love to hear from you!

30 thoughts on “Paddleboarding At Lake Annecy

1. sadhchyme

Really love your photograph. I have never experienced paddleboarding, but would love to do so. I love the sky, it creates a very moody image. I too agree with your statement that adding a human elements makes the landscape more interesting. For me it brings life into the landscape. Thanks for sharing mate šŸ˜€

1. Ben Post author

Thanks, my pleasure! šŸ™‚ I got lucky with the clouds, and had to recover some detail in post-processing. It was much brighter than it looks in the shot. I’m glad you enjoyed the human element, when possible I’ve been trying to include people in my photos a bit more recently. I’m still learning on that front but I think generally it makes for a more powerful image,

1. sadhchyme

Yes i agree. What i usually do, is take that classic landscape shot, and after that just wait for some one to walk into my frame. And more often than not, i end up loving the picture with the human touch. We are indeed on the same page on this šŸ™‚

1. Ben Post author

That sounds fair enough! It is great to look at though, and the colour of Lake Annecy given the right conditions is spectacular.

1. Ben Post author

It’s in France actually, about 30 minutes south of Geneva (which is in Switzerland). So many great spots in France!

2. outdoorcanvas

Stand Up Paddleboarding is awesome and no it’s not hard at all. It’s much easier than you would think. Now crossing a wide open lake in heavy wind is a real workout, but early morning or late evening paddling in calm winds and flat water is about as relaxing as it gets. Nice shot btw.

1. Ben Post author

I’m surprised you say that actually, I’ll have to give it a try then! The lake there tends to be pretty still through the summer months and it does always look very peaceful and relaxing. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Ben Post author

Haha, I am getting conflicting comments here on the blog! I think I’ve confused paddleboarding with stand-up paddleboarding. I guess that one is much easier than the other!

1. Ben Post author

Haha, I have a feeling I wouldn’t be on my feet for too long either having a pretty terrible sense of balance. I’m with you on that one!

3. mvschulze

Have paddle-boarded. A little shaky at first, and more difficult when slowing down, but generally a peaceful way to move along the water – and feel “accomplished!” M

1. Ben Post author

I like your description, feeling accomplished on the water is a great way of looking at it. I think given the right conditions I’ll have to give it a try!

4. dianaashworth

I was photographing a local lake — no one around — this is Wales — but one wet-suited figure packing up a paddle board. I approached — she was thin and sinewy with white hair, probably in her seventies. Is there a club? I asked… No!
    How do you start?… You buy a board.
    Are you allowed to just put it on the water?… Probably not!
    Wow!

1. Ben Post author

Haha, sounds very simple then! Apart from not knowing whether it’s actually permitted or not. I think I’ll probably try a lesson or two before buying anything though!

1. Ben Post author

Sounds great. I can imagine it must be quite relaxing, given the right conditions. Although I’ve never tried yoga either! Thanks for stopping by šŸ™‚

5. jenevievechapman

Another beautiful picture! I once tried paddle boarding with a couple of friends in Cornwall and it was much harder and less peaceful that expected! We ended up being dragged out seawards pretty swiftly and found it was more effective to swim back and tow the thing! But perhaps on water without a rip it would be delightful… :p (and with 1 person to a board!)

1. Ben Post author

Thanks Jenevieve, that sounds a bit dangerous out at sea! I’d much prefer a peaceful lake in among the mountains šŸ™‚ Haha, I can imagine it must be pretty crowded with more than one on the board! Did you all paddle or take it in turns?

6. SPFischer

Never tried paddleboarding … I prefer exercising on terra firma šŸ˜‰ Love that you caught them in the shot, though, as I agree with you that they lend scale to the imposing surroundings. And what’s not to love about dinosaurs? I’m a huge fan of the Jurassic Park movies šŸ™‚ Great photo, Ben!

1. Ben Post author

Thanks Stacy! Haha, actually I am with you on that one. I have not really tried any water sports, but I’d like to give one a go some time. This seems like a pretty low risk, simple option!

You know there really aren’t enough movies these days with dinosaurs in, and I can’t think of any reason why. Perhaps they know that Jurassic Park will be hard to beat, such a great movie!

7. kerlund74

Oh, my favorite place:) I have been there once and I want to go back. Such beautiful lake, I made some trips with my bicycle on my visit there, wonderful roads to travel around the lake. In my blog on tag “France” I have a photo of the lake with some boats. That picture is very dear to me:) Thank you for sharing and for waking up great memories.

1. Ben Post author

My pleasure, I’m glad I could rekindle your memories šŸ™‚ You’re right, there are many beautiful drives around the lake. I hope you make it back some day! I’ll be sure to check out your post, and thanks for stopping by.

8. Hayley

Great shot Ben. I must say it is not as easy as it looks! Whenever I have tried it, graceful I am not! Definitely worth a try though!